Year 6 Blog Friday 9th December 2022
Date: 9th Dec 2022 @ 8:16am
Welcome to Year 6 weekly blog.
Congratulations to our Year 5/6 Football team who came second in the South Ribble finals on Tuesday. They have worked incredibly well as a team, helping to reach the Lancashire Finals for the first time ever for St Oswald’s.
Also on Tuesday, the juniors were very lucky to see the infant nativity in church. We thought they did an amazing job and sang beautifully. You can also see the Nativity video here.
On Friday, eleven of our children volunteered to be carol singers at this month's Caritas lunch at St Teresa's church. They did a brilliant job singing for the parish.
Our learning this week:
- In Maths, we have been learning how to solve word problems by highlighting the important information, finding the numbers and working out what the calculation is.
- In English, we have had our last lesson with Gareth Walker, who has been teaching us how to be a sport journalist. We have used the skills he has taught us to create this term’s edition of the Learning Times, which will be available next week.
- In PE, we used this term’s learning of invasion games tactics to play small sided games of hockey. The most important thing we learnt is to move into space to gain a better advantage against an opponent.
- In PSHE, we learnt how important sleep is for a healthy lifestyle and discovered ways of improving our own sleep.
- In French, we wrote a story called Qui a tue le pere Noel? Who killed Father Christmas, based on a game of Cluedo. Fantastique, y6!
- In Science, we carried out a carousel of activities to prove that light travels in straight lines.
- In Design and Technology, we began our final design for our Christmas tree decoration using tapestry thread and needles. It has been great to see everyone develop their stitching skills this week.
Please try to complete the following tasks by next Thursday:
- Reading – Please read up to 30 minutes a night, complete your reading task and change your book one last time.
- Maths challenges:
- Sumdog (Lancashire Sumdog Winter Wonderland Contest))
- This week’s Sumdog contest is once again against Year 7 from All Hallows’. Try your best to get as many questions completed before next Thursday 15th The questions will be based at your Sumdog level and will vary across many topics.
No spellings for home practice:
- Due to a double sitting of spellings this week, no spellings are to be completed as ‘Home Practice’. Although, we will be recapping our learning of our spellings this term, in class.