Year 6 Blog Friday 5th May 2023
Date: 5th May 2023 @ 12:18pm
Welcome to our Year 6 blog. This week our Sports Captains led their first sports day for Reception. They did a great job and are looking forward to leading the next one. This Friday, we celebrated the King’s Coronation wearing red, white or blue and with a special picnic outside, including music and biscuits!
Also, Year 6’s learning this week:
- In Maths, we have been improving our learning of 2D shapes and used that knowledge to help with perimeter, area and coordinates. One main area we have been improving is fractions of amounts and percentages of numbers.
- In English, we have focused on our descriptive writing, and learnt how to better use similes and personification to create a more detailed image for the reader.
- In PE, we learnt how to improve the accuracy of throwing and catching within cricket and how to perform the basics of batting.
- In PSHE, we discussed ways of keeping calm under pressure and devised a plan for how to organise ourselves for next week.
- In Art, we completed a collage of our Mayan masks.
- In French, we recapped the items on a cafe menu then conjugated a regular ER verb - Aimer, to like. We will put this learning together next week to say what people like and dislike from the menu.
- In Science, we summarised our learning from this topic about Healthy Lifestyle Choices. Then we had a video call with a hospital pharmacist who talked about the path she took from St Oswald’s to where she is now - the lead Major Trauma pharmacist for Central Manchester. She answered the children's questions about her job, medicines and drugs. The children were very interested and asked some great questions. The idea was to show Y6 that many, varied science careers are open to all of them.
No Home Practice this week.
But make sure you spend the weekend doing at least one or a number of the following things:
- Rest and enjoy doing something you love,
- Do something active,
- Spend time with your family,
- Read a good book,
- Watch a film.
Have a great weekend everybody, rest and sleep well with a good breakfast Tuesday morning.