At St Oswald's we are blessed with amazing outdoor spaces. Our pond, wild wood, orchard and outdoor theatre are just some of the outdoor spaces we use to enhance our learning experiences.
Every pupil develops a real passion for the outdoors and celebrates their local, natural environment. We intend that every child develops a knowledge of and a passion for their local habitat, nurturing it with care. We also aim for all our children to embrace the physical and personal challenges that working outside will present.
Through outdoor learning we aim to support this philosophy by
- Fostering the enjoyment of the outdoors
- Embrace physical challenges
- Develop fine and gross motor skills
- Develop personal and social skills
- Develop a range of skills such as knot tying, shelter building, fire lighting, lashing, weaving
- Develop a knowledge of local flora and fauna
- Fostering an awareness of seasonal change
- Encouraging children to take risks in a supported, safe environment
- Using our Nature Area to contextualise leaning across the curriculum
- Ensuring learning is matched to the differing needs of all children as well as specific groups such as Pupil Premium etc.
- Encouraging children to be active and have a healthy lifestyle
- Ensuring children develop an understanding of keeping safe
- Developing problem solving and resilience through practical tasks
- Encouraging pupils’ personal involvement enabling them to improve their attention span, persistence and commitment
All classes participate in outdoor learning activities and sessions happen whatever the weather except for strong winds or heavy snow due to safety. Regular training of teaching and non-teaching staff allows all the children to receive a high quality session and ensures all staff understand the potential learning opportunities the outdoors has to offer. Adult led tasks may involve the teaching and application of practical skills. There will also be child led tasks which will support personal, social and emotional learning or demonstrate the independent application of prior teaching and learning.
Children at St Oswald's will have the opportunity to access our outdoor spaces to enhance all areas of our curriculum. Have a look at our galleries below to see our outdoor learning in action.